Library policies Library hours Library catalogue More than 10,000 books in the database!
Seaward Sussex
The South Downs from End to End

written by "Holmes, Edric, 1873-"
...he end, dedicated to St. Panthelon, is the modern tomb of Bishop Otter (1840). Before entering this chapel note the stone built into the wall and known as "Maudes Heart." The screens separating the aisles from the presbytery are made of native Sussex iron. We now return and cross to the south transept, on the north side of which is the tomb once supposed to be the shrine of St. Richard de la Wych, Bishop (1253) but now definitely accepted as that of Bishop Stratford (1362). This tomb, with several others, was barbarously "restored" in the last century; near it may be seen the modern brass in memory of Dean Burgon (1888). The pictures on the west wall are by Bernhardi and represent Ceadwalla giving Selsey to St. Wilfrid and the confirmation made by Henry VIII to Bishop Sherborne. Part of the transept is used as a consistory court. The sacristy is on the west side and on the east is St. Catherine's Chapel. In the wall of the aisle, proceeding east, note two slabs which are said to have been brought from Selsey Cathedral. The subjects are the Raising of Lazarus and the Saviour meeting Martha and Mary. Note between them the tomb of Bishop Sherborne (1536); near by is a memorial of Dean Hook (1875) also the coffin slabs of Bishop Neville (1224) and Bersted (1262). We now enter the Transitional Retro-choir; here is the altar tomb of Bishop Story (1503) who built Chichester Market Cross, and of Bishop Day (1556). The columns of Purbeck marble which grace this part of the cathedral are of great beauty. The screens of native iron have already been noticed, they are of simple but effective design. We pass the terminal chapel of the south aisle, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene and restored in memory of Dean Cross, and enter the Chapel of Our Lady, noting (left) the tombs of Bishops Hilary and Ralph, and (right) Bishop Seffrid II, the builder of the Early English portions of the Cathedial. This beautiful chapel was finished in the early ...

This book you can borrow for use directly by visiting our library!

Navigation
01. About Us
02. Library Catalogue
03. Library Hours
04. Library Policies
05. Happenings and Special Events
06. Databases and Online Catalogs
07. BookFriends
08. Summer Reading Club
09. Contacts
 
Favorites Authors
01. Browne, Gordon, 1858-1932
02. Sangster, Margaret Elizabeth Munson, 1838-1912
03. Dooley, William H. (William Henry), 1880-
04. Barnes, Robert, 1840-1895
05. Gore, George, 1826-1909
06. Purcell, Martha Grassham
07. Bullock, Shan F.
08. Merwin, Henry Childs
09. French, Joseph Lewis, 1858-1936
10. Sparks, Jared, 1789-1866
see all authors
 
Partner Links
waterproof sealant for pools